RE: Additional HTTP Status Codes - draft-nottingham-http-new-status-02

From: Thomson, Martin <Martin.Thomson@commscope.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 06:00:08 +0800
To: Dan Anderson <dan-anderson@cox.net>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 2011-10-20 at 05:05:33, Dan Anderson wrote:
> 1.  Section 6:  Why is this a 5xx status code and not a 4xx status
> code?  It seems to me like a client problem (failure to present
> appropriate credentials) and thus more appropriate as a 4xx status
> code.

My guess: because there is nothing inherently wrong with the _HTTP_ request, a 4xx response might be misconstrued as an indication that it needs modification somehow.

I wonder if a 3xx response was considered.  Since the typical scenario involves redirection, it's not that much of a stretch to imagine 3xx.

I'm sure you could skin this particular cat any number of ways.

--Martin