Re: Feedback on draft-sigurdsson-anti-ddos-http-throttling

On 11/10/2011, at 5:31 AM, Jói Sigurđsson wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks a lot for the feedback.
>
> I was ambivalent about reusing the Retry-After header.  As far as I
> can tell, the semantics are unchanged when encountered on a response
> with a 503 status code, which AFAICT is the only status code it is
> observed for per current HTTP standards.  The addition in this
> Internet-Draft is to observe the header for responses with other
> status codes.  My thought was that since implementations should ignore
> unknown headers, this wouldn't dilute interop, but I wasn't sure.  It
> sounds like the simplest route is to use a new header, but would love
> your thoughts on the reasoning above before I go there.

I'm mostly concerned because people have talked about using Retry-After for other purposes on other status codes; e.g., on a 202 Accepted, it might indicate how long to wait before polling a status resource, and so on.

These other uses may or may not conflict with your re-purposing of Retry-After, and strictly speaking, it's already allowed on other responses, in that it isn't prohibited from occurring there; it's just that the semantics are not well-defined.*

One question -- I didn't see anywhere where Retry-After was used in your algorithm; it's referenced as a way for Ajax applications to control polling frequencies. However, this could be done by agreement between the client and server (e.g., using something in the response body, and/or another response header), correct?

Cheers,

* As a side note, I wonder if we can generalise retry-after semantics to apply to all responses where there's a Location header, as well as server-side errors...

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/