Re: PUT and DELETE methods in 200 code

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:31:41 +0200
To: Dominik Tomaszuk <ddooss@wp.pl>
CC: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On 30.03.2011 16:02, Dominik Tomaszuk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In [1] there are specified HTTP methods in 200 code. I think that this
> section should be extended to PUT and DELETE methods, because in [2] and
> [3] authors write references to 200 code [1]. In my opinion PUT and
> DELETE methods can be defined the same as POST (a representation
> describing or containing the result of the action). It could be very
> helpful especially for RESTful applications.
>
> [1]
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-13#section-8.2.1
> [2]
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-13#section-7.6
> [3]
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-13#section-7.7
>
> Regards,
>
> Dominik Tomaszuk

Hi Dominik,

thanks for coming over here to discuss this.

Let's have a look at PUT. Three things that come to mind what a 200
response could carry are:

- nothing (the server did what you asked for, and that's really all you
need to know) -- this is what many (most) WebDAV servers will do

- return a small status message

- return the new representation of the resource

There are probably more options. I'm not sure the HTTP spec can/should
mandate any.

So also recent discussion of "Prefer"...: starting at
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2011JanMar/0291.html>.

BR, Julian