Re: "chunked" as non-final transfer-extension

On 06.03.2011 23:31, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I ran across https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=61960 and
> could not find this in draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-12.txt. It seems
> to me the specification should say "chunked" as transfer-extension is
> only valid if it is the last transfer-coding, otherwise you're likely

We have in
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-12.html#rfc.section.6.2.1.p.10>:

"Since "chunked" is the only transfer-coding required to be understood
by HTTP/1.1 recipients, it plays a crucial role in delimiting messages
on a persistent connection. Whenever a transfer-coding is applied to a
payload body in a request, the final transfer-coding applied MUST be
"chunked". If a transfer-coding is applied to a response payload body,
then either the final transfer-coding applied MUST be "chunked" or the
message MUST be terminated by closing the connection. When the "chunked"
transfer-coding is used, it MUST be the last transfer-coding applied to
form the message-body. The "chunked" transfer-coding MUST NOT be applied
more than once in a message-body."

> dealing with some form of attack (unfortunately many mainstream imple-
> mentations use, say, `strstr` to check for "chunked", so they misbe-
> have if you do something like `Transfer-Encoding: bogochunked`; that
> might also be worth a "It is incorrect to..." note).

BR, Julian