Re: Content-Disposition: *sender* advice

On 23.02.2011 03:09, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> On 23/02/2011, at 4:42 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> Appendix D.  Advice on Generating Content-Disposition Header Fields
>
> I started to reply with revised wording for some points, and ended up with a rewrite, fwiw.

I'm happy with most of this, except for:

>    - Inclue a 'filename' parameter on all Content-Disposition headers.
>    - Include a 'filename*' parameter on Content-Disposition headers where the desired filename contains characters outside the US-ASCII character encoding. Note that legacy user agents will not process this, and will fall back to using the 'filename' parameter's content.

Depending on ordering, this advice either doesn't work for Firefox
(including FF4), or for IE8 (and below). See
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/tc2231/#attfnboth> and
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/tc2231/#attfnboth2>.

That's why I ended up with the statement abour U-A sniffing. Nobody
likes it. I don't like it. But like it or not, it's what you need to do
as of today.

The alternative of course is not to have any advice here, and just link
to something we can update more quickly.

Best regards, Julian