Issue 275 (duplicate ABNF for "Method"), was: progress on Issue 137

On 17.02.2011 17:27, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/137> is one of these
> TODOs that are left-overs from splitting RFC 2616 into multiple pieces.

We had the same problem for the definition of "Method". I just raised a
separate issue for that
(<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/275>), and resolved
it similarly to #137. See
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/1128> - the P2
section "Method" now starts with:

-- snip --
2.  Method

    The Method token indicates the method to be performed on the target
    resource (Section 4.3 of [Part1]).  The method is case-sensitive.

      Method         = token

    The list of methods allowed by a resource can be specified in an
    Allow header field (Section 9.1).  The status code of the response
    always notifies the client whether a method is currently allowed on a
    resource, since the set of allowed methods can change dynamically.
    An origin server SHOULD respond with the status code 405 (Method Not
    Allowed) if the method is known by the origin server but not allowed
    for the resource, and 501 (Not Implemented) if the method is
    unrecognized or not implemented by the origin server.  The methods
    GET and HEAD MUST be supported by all general-purpose servers.  All
    other methods are OPTIONAL; however, if the above methods are
    implemented, they MUST be implemented with the same semantics as
    those specified in Section 7.

2.1.  Overview of Methods

    The methods listed below are defined in Section 7.

    +-------------+---------------+
    | Method Name | Defined in... |
    +-------------+---------------+
    | OPTIONS     | Section 7.2   |
    | GET         | Section 7.3   |
    | HEAD        | Section 7.4   |
    | POST        | Section 7.5   |
    | PUT         | Section 7.6   |
    | DELETE      | Section 7.7   |
    | TRACE       | Section 7.8   |
    | CONNECT     | Section 7.9   |

    Note that this list is not exhaustive -- it does not include methods
    defined in other specifications.

-- snip --

Best regards, Julian