Re: Content-Location: path separator characters [#272]

On 10.02.2011 01:38, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Sorry, should have said -- this is #272.
>

> On 10/02/2011, at 11:32 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>
>> Section 3.3 Disposition Parameter: 'Filename' says
>>
>> """
>> When the value contains path separator characters, all but the last segment SHOULD be ignored. This prevents unintentional overwriting of well-known file system location (such as "/etc//passwd").
>> """
>>
>> However, "path separator characters" is not defined; should this be platform-specific, or should we nominate the characters in question? Either way, it needs to be more explicit.

If you want the filename to be usable across operating systems, you
shouldn't use either "/" or "\".

Thus, proposed text:

"When the value contains one of the commonly used path separator
characters ("/" and "\"), all but the last segment SHOULD be ignored.
This prevents unintentional overwriting of well-known file system
location (such as "/etc/passwd")."

Best regards, Julian