Re: Content-Location: character set

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 10:19:37 +0900
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: httpbis Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "Julian F. Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Hello Mark,

On 2011/02/10 9:49, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> I think we should add an explicit statement to the specification regarding the character set; e.g.,
>
> """
> Note that field-values containing characters outside of the ISO-8859-1 character set [ref] are invalid.
> """
>
> Probably near the grammar.
>
> Thoughts?

I don't see the point of this, on two levels:

- On a higher level, it's hopelessly outdated and against long-standing
   IETF policy (UTF-8), and useless in wide parts of the world.

- On a lower level, it's wrong to talk about character *set* if you mean
   the encoding, and if you mean it in that sense, it's irrelevant if
   you put that near the grammar because ISO-8859-1 can contain any bytes
   whatever, which means it's difficult to check this.

Regards,   Martin.