Re: Indicating a resource does not exist

Which is surely all that the server can say?  The resource might exist in
the future. It may have existed in the past, but when in the past? Certainly
not before 1994...

A server that supported Memento [1] might be able to say that it *didn't*
exist at a particular time, but that's not the same as "doesn't,didn't and
never will exist".

Given the lack of the time dimension in HTTP without Memento, 404 seems the
correct status code.

Rob Sanderson
Los Alamos National Laboratory

1: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-vandesompel-memento/