Re: [apps-discuss] [saag] [websec] [kitten] HTTP authentication: the next generation

Two points:

1. In this entire thread, no-one has mentioned OAuth. Maybe y'all
don't like it, but it's used to authenticate more HTTP requests by
volume and users than everything-except-cookies combined. You may want
to consider the design of OAuth when proceeding with these
discussions, rather than the laundry list of [completely] failed
protocols.

2. With respect to federated auth, especially using email address-like
identifiers, there has been a bevy of (deployed) work in this regard.
The effort is called webfinger, and is worth a look. Instead of DNS,
we use host-meta based HTTP lookups to dereference the identifiers.
Many diaspora and status.net installs are using it today, and there
are several proposals towards building a security & privacy
infrastructure on top of webfinger (webid is one such proposal whose
incorporation of client-side TLS certificates in a browser context
makes me very weary of its potential for success).

b.