Re: NEW: #235: Cache Invalidation only happens upon successful responses

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:20:36 +1000
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>

On 23/06/2011, at 12:11 PM, Mark Baker wrote:

> I was thinking that "non-error response" would be superior to
> "successful response" in avoiding confusion, as the definition of the
> 2xx status code class uses the word "successful" exclusively.

Agreed. That gives us:

"""
A cache MUST invalidate the effective Request URI (Section 4.3 of [Part1]) as well as the URI(s) in the Location and Content-Location header fields (if present) when a non-error response to a request with an unsafe method is received.

However, a cache MUST NOT invalidate a URI from a Location or Content-Location header field if the host part of that URI differs from the host part in the effective request URI (Section 4.3 of [Part1]).  This helps prevent denial of service attacks.

A cache SHOULD invalidate the effective request URI (Section 4.3 of [Part1]) when it receives a non-error response to a request with a method whose safety is unknown.

Here, a non-error response is one with a 2xx or 3xx status code.
"""

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/