Re: #273: HTTP-Version should be redefined as fixed length pair of DIGIT . DIGIT

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:59:29 +1000
Cc: <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>

On 23/06/2011, at 8:22 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> I'm more inclined to propose that this update clarify the version as "HTTP/1.2" now. Which if the earlier post was correct was "merely" a text omission in the 2616 development.

That's explicitly out of charter for us:

"The Working Group must not introduce a new version of HTTP and should not add new functionality to HTTP."

<http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/charter/>

Of course, if there's consensus to change our charter, we can take that to the IESG and see what they say, but if we are going to go down that road (and I'd be quite wary of doing so), let's wait until we've got everything else done.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/