Re: #290 [was: SHOULD-level requirements in p6-caching]

On 05/06/2011 01:57 PM, Dzonatas Sol wrote:
> On 05/04/2011 07:01 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> OK. How do we specify this? Saying "When CC is present, you can
>> ignore Pragma" brings about the case where:
>>
>> GET /foo HTTP/1.1
>> Host: example.com
>> Cache-Control: myweirdextension=foo
>> Pragma: no-cache
>>
>> means that a HTTP/1.1 cache that doesn't implement myweirdextension
>> now silently ignores the no-cache.
>>

> Is there anything that prevents the Host: field being left out for the
> assumption of volatile (or no-cache) data is then in effect?
>
> If Host: is intentionally left out and if there is any need to know
> where-from then use "best effort" with the assumption of either
> "guest" of known network, or "foreign" or "inherited". If "foreign" or
> "inherited" then assume either the reply-path details are already
> included (by specified protocol).
>
> This could further eliminate the need for User-Agent: in "inherited"
> and "guest" mode. The User-Agent: field doesn't make sense in "guest"
> mode, so I would consider this optional. Could/Would... your opinion,
> please?

Seems like "guest" and "foreign" mode may be to early to introduce to
HTTP standards for those that have the HTTP/1.0 mindset without any
virtualization in consideration. With HTTP/1.1 pipelining, however, we
can still assume "inherited" mode and that the gateway/proxy knows the
header information if message doesn't specify. There are logical reasons
that include tokenization, compression, eliminate-redundancy,
cache/no-cache, and security (with TLS/STLP).

My position is being able to bundle/batch requests based on pivotal
data, identify where endless transistions need flow stability, and where
we can use asset caches to immediately replace requests in flow (not
just respond like Squid or botnets).

For now, we'll consider "guest" and "foreign" mode as less-than-"best
effort", and "inherited" mode as "best effort" to conform to standard.

--
--- https://twitter.com/Dzonatas_Sol ---
Web Development, Software Engineering, Virtual Reality, Consultant