Re: Privacy and HTTP intermediaries

On 03/05/2011, at 11:10 AM, Thomson, Martin wrote:

> The issue of logging HTTP requests has come up in a discussion in another working group.
>
> The goal is not just to prevent someone from learning that a certain person requested a certain resource, but to protect the identity of the resource.  That is, the very existence of the resource is a secret.
>
> I understand that with CONNECT an intermediary only really knows that a particular server has been contacted, but what about unsecured HTTP?  Does the value of the Cache-Control header have any bearing on whether something is logged?

Nope.

I suppose you could read Cache-Control: no-store has having those semantics, but it doesn't in any implementation I'm aware of. Perhaps we need to clarify that.

> What sort of logging does an HTTP intermediary typically do?

The Squid format is fairly common; see:
  http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidLogs#access.log
  http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/logformat/

Cheers,