Re: #282: Recommend minimum sizes for protocol elements

On Mon, 2 May 2011, Mark Nottingham wrote:

>> I think that we should recommend that clients not send a U-A header at all,
>> to enourage servers to DTRT with respect to content portablity.
>
> Agreed, but from discussing this (at length) with browser vendors, they're
> unwilling to change UA and other headers much, because of potential interop
> problems with sites that depend upon them.

I can confirm that not using a user-agent header at all gives a certain amount
of problems. I can't give any specific numbers, but libcurl does its default
requests without such a header and that is known to cause grief every now and
then.

I recall that even Apache has (had?) some set of UA-based browser checks that
check for known faulty browsers to be able to do the necessary work-arounds.

--

  / daniel.haxx.se