Re: About draft-nottingham-http-pipeline-01.txt

From: Brian Pane <brianp@brianp.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 17:43:48 -0700
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
[...]
> A fair amount of time has passed since the first version (or even most
> recent version!) of the draft, and in my conversations with vendors --
> especially Moz's Patrick McManus -- I've come to realise that the draft
> is probably too conservative. I.e., There's a desire to have pipelining on
> by default, without any opt-in or special mechanisms from the server,
> using heuristics to back off if a problem is encountered.

Does this also imply the use of heuristics up-front to decide whether a
given request is a suitable candidate for pipelining?  E.g., I can imagine
a client implementation doing something like this: "if method is GET and
request-URI doesn't contain a query string and the request was not
issued via JavaScript then assume it's safe to pipeline."  If so, I also
anticipate that web app developers will start designing toward the
browsers' heuristics.

-Brian