Re: SHOULD-level requirements in p6-caching

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 07:54:29 +0200
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 05:33:42PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <Pine.LNX.4.64.1104080808000.18147@egate.xpasc.com>, David Morris wr
> ites:
>
> >My expectation is that current sites which use cookies to control
> >content already use other caching controls to prevent reuse of
> >unsharabale content.
>
> IMO an unwarranted assumption.
>
> As author of a major server-side cache-software, I see a lot of
> server side people with absolutely no clue to caching and its
> interaction with cookies, vary or for that matter cache-control
> headers.

I agree with you, I've had the same experience. People develop
applications and install them in a hosting infrastructure they
don't necessarily understand. The hosting infrastructure uses
caches and the application people complain that the caches are
"abusive" and distribute session cookies to end users...

I even had to develop specific options in haproxy to test for
response cachability combined with set-cookie headers and be
able to block them instead of letting them leak into caches.

For me it's a proof that there are many application people who
have no clue about caching and who sometimes don't want to know
how it works.

Regards,
Willy