Re: I-D draft-petersson-forwarded-for-00.txt

On 09/04/2011, at 8:49 AM, Brian Pane wrote:

> The rollout of a naming change will be difficult; I
> anticipate that proxy servers will end up sending both X-Forwarded-For
> and Forwarded-For for many years.  That might be inevitable, but it
> brings to mind two concerns:

Why so? If they control the software that's consuming it, they can change it in a reasonably bounded amount of time. If they don't, why will they care? XFF is a completely non-standard header that is more than often NOT sent by proxies, so removing it shouldn't break anything.

> - People who plan to log Forwarded-For data for forensic purposes will
> need to keep logging X-Forwarded-For as well.

If they're that interested, they're likely to log everything anyway...

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/