Re: SHOULD-level requirements in p6-caching

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 11:54:37 +0200
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 08.04.2011 11:04, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message<4D9ECCB9.6050605@gmx.de>, Julian Reschke writes:
>> On 07.04.2011 11:35, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>> Related to this, we should think a moment about Google Analytics
>>> here, since it tends to pollute all objects with Cookies, and "Vary:
>>> Cookie" is implied (but not specified as I recall)
>>
>> What exactly do you mean when you say "is implied"?
>
> That web-apps expect caches to either use the cookies as part of their
> hash-key or not cache at all when cookies are present, or they break
> seven ways before breakfast.

Ack.

This is similar to the special case we have in P1 with respect to
handling multiple Set-Cookie header fields
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-13.html#rfc.section.3.2.p.7>).

So we probably should mention it, but adding a requirement might break
existing conforming implementations, so I'd prefer not to.

Best regards, Julian