Re: [kitten] [apps-discuss] [saag] HTTP authentication: the next generation

On Mon Dec 13 10:55:11 2010, Adrien de Croy wrote:
> for instance what would you propose for non-browsers, which perform
> a large proportion of all HTTP transactions.

I agree a solution is needed for non-browsers (including IPP, for
example). I disagree this needs to be, or should be, the same as a
solution for web apps. I disagree that non-browser security is even a
major priority at this point in time - it's adequately served by TLS
and client certificates and/or Basic auth, depending on the security
model desired - this latter I appreciate is a personal opinion.

However there is no doubt at all that current webapp deployments are
in need of a serious improvement in security, given that these
generally use TLS only during authentication itself, and use
plaintext usernames and passwords for the authentication itself.

> Also, it seems like it would make the problem about a billion times
> worse putting the auth into the application, where there are no
> standards, and therefore it would need to be re-implemented for
> each different application... kinda like what we have now already.

Yet every webapp currently uses a form, and it's so close a standard
that browsers can, and do, spot login forms and allow the credentials
to be cached. As such, I fail to see why we wouldn't want to place
better authentication at that layer, where it's quite likely to be
actually used.

> SASL is an orthogonal concept.  It's just a framework to negotiate
> auth, whether that's over HTTP or something else.  So, it's a bit
> of a red herring in this.

Right, that's fair enough.

> The trick is to get the application to actually use the auth of the
> protocol.

Yes, but the problem is that existing, deployed, webapps could use
Basic right now - they all just ask for a username and password after
all. Yet none of them do, in part because of integration issues, but
mostly I suspect due to usability and branding issues.

We could deploy some more advanced mechanisms in HTTP auth tomorrow,
and nobody would use those either.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave@cridland.net - xmpp:dwd@dave.cridland.net