Re: [hybi] workability (or otherwise) of HTTP upgrade

One other thing --

On 09/12/2010, at 2:03 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> I think the working group has heard all the notable techniques, as you
> say if ultimately the browser controls all the bytes, then there is no
> risk; if the attacker cannot control bytes that are critical for any
> reasonable exploit, such as white space characters, then there is no
> plausible risk either; if we do not use ports commonly used for HTTP,
> and make initial communication look much unlike HTTP, there is also no
> plausible problem. If we never actually leave the HTTP realm, such as
> by using chunked encoding with two essentially infinite streams, then
> there is also no plausible risk; finally there are the "talisman" pro-
> posals, where you send something odd and hope for the best (Ian's "76"
> draft has a "send malformed HTTP message" approach, Adam et al. have
> the "CONNECT" approach, Dave Cridland suggests sending something that
> looks like a CONNECT request but really isn't, and there are some ping
> pong hello and goodbye proposals I haven't kept track of; there is a
> plausible risk to all of those, but it's far fetched and evidence does
> not support that there is a grave concern.

I still haven't seen anyone explain why CONNECT is better than, say, WEBSOCKET_PLEASE.

Also, from a quick read of the archive, it appears that encoding the stream (e.g., XOR, removing newlines, etc.) was shot down very quickly because people couldn't do sendfile().

That makes me wonder: what are the use cases for using sendfile() with WebSockets that can't be addressed by HTTP (more reliably, by everything I've seen here)?

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/