Re: workability (or otherwise) of HTTP upgrade

I don't think that's the relevant aspect here. "Another port" could be port 80 or port 443 (nasty, and you wouldn't make it the default, but I think you see where I'm going).

The question is why it's necessary to run both HTTP and WebSockets traffic over the *same* port simultaneously -- something that AFAICT is taken as axiomatic, and I'm really wondering why.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/