Re: workability (or otherwise) of HTTP upgrade

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:03:47 +0100
To: "Eric J. Bowman" <eric@bisonsystems.net>
CC: Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, hybi <hybi@ietf.org>
On 30.11.2010 02:29, Eric J. Bowman wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>>

>>> My suggested fixes to 9.8, based on the notion that HTTP 1.0, 1.1
>>> and 2.0, and PTTH 1.0, are not "incompatible" protocols:
>>
>> Not convinced.
>>
>> If the protocol is compatible, you don't need "Upgrade" in the first
>> place.
>>

> Two issues here.  One, is whether Upgrade should be a general-purpose
> protocol tunneling mechanism vs. an HTTP-specific versioning mechanism.
> Two, is how to change the wording.  There are probably specific terms
> which describe exactly what I'm getting at, in languages other than
> English (you Germans probably have an absurdly-long compound word that
> captures exactly what I'm trying to say :-).

:-)

>> So, HTTP/2.0 *will* need upgrade, if you start the conversation using
>> HTTP 1.*.
>>

> Of course.  I'm not arguing against Upgrade as a versioning mechanism
> for HTTP and HTTP-ish protocols.  I can't imagine that HTTP 2.0 would
> abandon the request/response or resource/representation paradigms,
> which I'm suggesting be a requirement for protocols bound to port 80.

It's not clear to me where you want to draw the line.

- Uprade to TLS is already defined (although not really used), and
changes the message framing

- Things like SPDY and/or Waka will have binary headers, so will have no
on-the wire resemblance to HTTP messages

- I can easily imagine that HTTP/2.0 could add server-initiated messages.

If these things qualify as HTTP/2.0 features, why not allow other
protocols to use same mechanism?

Best regard, Julian