Re: draft-yevstifeyev-http-headers-not-recognized-01.txt

From: Mykyta Yevstifeyev <evnikita2@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 16:53:16 +0200
To: Sylvain Hellegouarch <sh@defuze.org>
CC: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
23.11.2010 12:37, Sylvain Hellegouarch wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de <mailto:julian.reschke@gmx.de>> wrote:
>     On 23.11.2010 10:16, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
>         If a server sends 4xx code, it stops procesing the request.
>         Generally unrecognized headers are not critical - all
>         'vital' headers MUST be supported by servers. If a client receives
>         such a response, it SHOULD avoid sending requests
>         with mentioned headers while server MUST cntinue processing
>         the request.
>     *Why* "SHOULD" it avoid sending those? What's the problem you're
>     trying to solve? Wasted bits? It would be helpful to understan
> Also I'm afraid we'd end up with a ping/pong game where clients would
> likely dismiss the new status code anyway as servers ignore currently
> headers they don't understand.
IMO it wouldn't be a great trouble for servers to add another one HEADER
(not separate
status code!) with a list of headers it hasn't recognized. The aim of
this header is to
inform the client about not processed headers. However there is no MUST
for avoiding sending the 'not-recognizable' headers. If the client wants
them to be sent,
it will sent, but it is only RECOMMENDED that these headers are not sent
(siad in other
Moreover, if a sever sends the corresponding headers, a client MAY try
to change it
to acceptable one (for server) in case it is critical for it (client).
Finally, server SHOULD (and not MUST) send the 'Headers-Not-Recognized'
If it is a big difficulty for them (but it's hard to imagine), they
won't do this.
I don't understand what all this fuss is for?

Mykyta Yevstifeyev