Re: Headers-Not-Recognized for HTTP (was: Please review my Internet-Draft)

From: Sylvain Hellegouarch <sh@defuze.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 23:12:09 +0100
To: Mykyta Yevstifeyev <evnikita2@gmail.com>
Cc: Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Mykyta Yevstifeyev <evnikita2@gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hello all,
>
> The idea proposed by Robert seems very interesting to me.
> I have remade my I-D according to the proposals.
> You are able to find it here:
>

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yevstifeyev-http-headers-not-recognized/
>
> I think everything is clear in this document and
> it needs only editorial changes. IMO if nothing
> critical won't be proposed, I'll initiate the process
> of RFC publication.
>
> All the best,
> Mykyta Yevstifeyev

It looks a bit like a ping/pong game, with your proposal, instead of having
a server ignoring headers, we'll have clients mostly not knowing what to do
with that new response. Besides, RFC2616 says explicitely that unknown
headers should be ignored by servers.

If your application is strict and conservative about what it accepts, you
could still use one of the 4xx error codes. They are plenty of them.

--
- Sylvain
http://www.defuze.org