Re: Please Review my Internet-Draft

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:55:50 +0100
To: Mykyta Yevstifeyev <evnikita2@gmail.com>
CC: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On 22.11.2010 08:33, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have recently made an I-D, which, I think,
> would be interesting for the WG. You can
> find it here:
>
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yevstifeyev-http-headers-not-recognized/
>
> Could you please review it?

Hi Mykyta,

a few thoughts:

- This would be interesting for debugging purposes. Not sure about
things beyond that. For instance, what's the rational for the
conformance requirements you make? IMHO, a server MUST continue to
process the requests (because that's how 1xx status codes work), but the
actual 103 message should only be a hint to the sender.

- The ABNF for the header should be a list of comma-separated headers
(same syntax as for Vary, for instance)

- You'd need IANA considerations for the new header as well.

- In many cases, this will be extremely hard to implement, because the
actual handling of a request requires several layers, and it would
tricky to find out which headers were processed by whom. Also, in many
cases, the final recipient might not be *able* to send a 1xx response
(such as a Java servlet).

Best regards, Julian