Re: TICKET 259: 'treat as invalid' not defined

Hi Adrien,

That's good background thinking, but for the moment I'm trying to restrict us to just Content-Disposition, to simplify the discussion. Can we come back to this once we see how that goes?

Regards,

On 09/11/2010, at 3:03 PM, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> On 9/11/2010 3:13 p.m., Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> My inclination here is to (as with the others) punt the issue of actually defining 'invalid' in the 'core' specification; it can be either an appendix or a separate document.
>>
>> However, I'm wondering if we can at least identify those places where errors may occur consistently; e.g., by saying things like:
>>
>> "Header values with multiple instances are considered invalid."
>> "Header values that do not match the ABNF are considered invalid."
>> "..."
>>
>> and then something like
>>
>> "A header value that is considered invalid MAY be ignored, or MAY have error handling algorithms applied to attempt to recover the intent of the message."
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> On the topic about suggesting invalid headers be ignored.
>
> Typically ignoring invalid headers is actually a recovery strategy, since the goal is to attempt to proceed to process the message.  Not ignoring the error would be the case where the message is rejected somehow.
>
> Some invalid headers are not safe to ignore.  E.g. Content-Length, Transfer-Encoding, Content-Encoding and maybe some others.
>
> So, maybe we need 2 classes of header.  One where we feel it's safe to ignore errors (act as if the header were absent), and others where we feel it's not safe.  I don't think one blanket rule for all really works.
>
> Maybe even differentiate between errors in say parameters (e.g. q values) vs the rest of the header.
>
> Or did you use ignored in the sense of "treat as if the header were omitted"?
>
> In which case in the case of Content-Length, there's defined processes for how to deal with lack of that.  My gut feel is this particular one would possibly lead to smuggling issues, so we would be back to maybe 2 classes of header (ignorable and not).
>
> For intermediaries it might help to have some language about headers believed to be in error (in respect of forwarding).
>
> E.g. should a proxy:
>
> * strip
> * forward as is (leave it up to the next agent)
> * attempt to correct (I wouldn't recommend this)
> * reject
>
> Cheers
>
> Adrien

>>> The browser use case proceeds from the following premises.
>>>
>>> 1) Many servers send invalid messages to user agents.
>>> 2) Many existing user agents have some behavior for these invalid messages.

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/