Re: Identifying the Resource Associated with a Representation?

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 17:05:16 +0100
To: nathan@webr3.org
On 06.11.2010 04:40, Nathan wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  From an HTTP response I need to be able to work out an identifier for a
> resource, from the Content-Location, in order to:
>
> (a) which URI to send PUT and DELETE requests to
> (b) which URI to store a cached representation against.
>
> And also:
>
> (c) which URI to use as @base (say it was a text/html response)
> (d) which URI to use on the next GET for the same resource

I believe the answer is: this section doesn't help you for all these
questions.

(a) You can use the one determined by these rules, but C-L may provide a
more specific one.

(b) Not entirely sure what you mean here.

(c) We have removed the base-setting semantics from C-L
(<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/154>), so it's the
URI as determined by the rules in 6.1.

(d) The same URI in general (do we imply otherwise somewhere)?

Best regards, Julian