#243: iso-8859-1 in C-D

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 12:20:12 +1100
To: httpbis Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
"I still think the reference to ISO-8859-1 should be avoided (refer instead to characters not normally allowed in HTTP headers, or simply a wider repertoire of characters) ..."

According to <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-12#section-3.2>:

>    Historically, HTTP has allowed field content with text in the ISO-
>    8859-1 [ISO-8859-1] character encoding and supported other character
>    sets only through use of [RFC2047] encoding.  In practice, most HTTP
>    header field values use only a subset of the US-ASCII character
>    encoding [USASCII].  Newly defined header fields SHOULD limit their
>    field values to US-ASCII characters.  Recipients SHOULD treat other
>    (obs-text) octets in field content as opaque data.

I don't see what not specifying the character set that doesn't require encoding buys us here.

This isn't a new header; it's a revision of an existing one, and historically (as it says), the line has been 8859-1.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/