Re: Issue 261: Check for requirements backing test cases, was: Comments on draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp

From: Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 14:48:31 -0600
To: Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com>
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, httpbis <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Adam Barth wrote:

> As we all know, web compatibility is one of the top 5 reasons users
> decide which browser to use.  It seems entirely likely that the
> decision to implement IE-like behavior for the Content-Disposition
> header has contributed to Chrome's strong performance in the Asian
> market.

You provide no data in support of this claim.  It seems entirely likely
to me that C-D handling has no bearing whatsoever upon the Asian market
performance of browsers.  We can bandy baseless assertions about 'til
the cows come home, but if you want the document changed on this basis,
I'll have to agree with Julian that it's incumbent upon you to provide
some numbers, or please stop using this to justify your claims that the
draft language is useless as written.

-Eric