API Rate Limits and HTTP Code

From: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 16:50:43 -0400
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi,

I have seen a few times blog post (example [1]) over API Rate Limits and HTTP response code. People designing APIs have difficulties it seems to find the appropriate HTTP response code. That led me a few weeks ago to look at what was done at a few services (not a complete survey, just curiosity)

There is no common practice around that. Should the HTTP specification have a specific code for this, or is there already everything appropriate?

[1]: http://mehack.com/inventing-a-http-response-code-aka-seriously
[2]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2010Oct/0000
[3]: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-12#section-8.4

--