Content Auto-negotiation

From: William Waites <ww@styx.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 21:26:56 +0200
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
This topic came up in IRC after I was looking at making a small
CGI script to do autonegotiation and I noticed the Accept header
send by Google Chrome:

	application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,
        text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5

My reading of the RFC (and the new draft) suggests that this
would result in image/png being preferred over text/html.
Someone else believed that the q=0.5 at the end applies to
both image/png and */* though both the pseudo-BNF grammar
and one of the examples would appear to contradict this.

Would appreciate some clarification. Does Chrome really
prefer pictures of web pages?

Perhaps the new draft would benefit from some more explicit
treatment of this case to avoid confusion.

Cheers,
-w