#230: Considerations for registering new methods

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 17:04:24 +1100
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/230>

I've incorporated the proposal below as a starting point:

--->8---

When it is necessary to express new semantics for a HTTP request that aren't specific to a single application or media type, and currently defined methods are inadequate, it may be appropriate to register a new method [ref].

New methods SHOULD be potentially applicable to any resource. I.e., they should not be specific to any particular media type, "type" of resource, or application.

New methods MUST NOT prohibit a message-body on either the request or the response message; however they MAY specify that only a zero-length body is allowed.

New methods MUST define whether they are safe [ref] and whether they are idempotent [ref]. They MUST also state whether they can be cached [ref to p6]; in particular what conditions a cache may store the response, and under what conditions such a stored response may be used to satisfy a subsequent request.

New methods SHOULD explain how conditional request headers [ref] affect the response (if there is any effect).

HTTP methods SHOULD be registered in a document that isn't specific to an application or other use of HTTP, so that it's clear that they are not specific to that application or extension.

---8<---

I expect we'll find more here, but wanted to get something in. Feedback appreciated, as always.

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/