Re: NEW: #235: Cache Invalidation only happens upon successful responses

On 18/10/2010, at 4:31 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2010, at 9:28 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>
>> Roy, what's your precise definition of successful? 2xx, or 2xx + 3xx?
>>
>> E.g., 303 See Other seems like it's squarely within the intent of cache invalidation, since Location is included.
>
> Note that this is just for invalidation of an existing cached
> response to a prior GET upon receiving a state-changing request
> for the same URI.  For example, in the case
>
>   GET  /x --> 200 with form to fill out
>   POST /x --> 303 to /y
>
> I would not expect the first GET to be invalidated by the 303
> even if the 303 is marked cacheable.

Ah. That's an interesting point.

The question here, though, is whether /y should also be invalidated; since 2616 goes to pretty extensive lengths to say that the URL indicated by Location is to be invalidated, I don't see why it shouldn't be...

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/