Re: Issue 248: client "Date" requirements

On 11.10.2010 21:21, Robert Brewer wrote:
> I read that as "Clients SHOULD NOT send a Date header field in messages
> that do not include a payload. The header is optional for messages that
> do include a payload, as is usually the case for PUT and POST. A client
> without a clock MUST NOT send a Date header field in a request."
>
> I'd be interested to know why they should or not in either situation,
> however. I don't really see the use case.

I have no idea what the requirements are good for (except for
not-to-send-what-you-do-not-know :-).

As the spec says "MUST" (with exceptions) for servers, it probably
should say *something* about clients, though.

"Clients MAY send a Date header (when a clock is present)".

?

Does anybody recall where the "requirement" with respect to payload
comes from? Is it just about keeping request messages small when the
Date is of no interest?

Best regards, Julian