Re: [#95] Multiple Content-Lengths

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:07:39 +0200
To: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
CC: "William Chan (ι™ˆζ™Ίζ˜Œ)" <willchan@chromium.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 11.10.2010 19:18, Adam Barth wrote:
>> So, how about (for now):
>>
>> "...If this is a response message received by a user-agent, it either SHOULD
>> be treated as error, or otherwise the message-body length SHOULD be
>> determined by reading the connection until it is closed; an error SHOULD be
>> indicated to the user."
>>
>> ?
>
> I would say:
>
> "...If this is a response message received by a user-agent, it MUST
> be treated as error."
>
> (or at the SHOULD-level if you're scared of MUST-level requirements).

Well, "MUST be treated as error" isn't really helpful; it doesn't
require any observable behavior.

That a response message like this *is* broken is a statement of fact;
the question is whether we want to require any specific handling. So,
for instance, do we want to forbid any of the behaviors we see today?
(use the first value/use the second value/use until end of connection)?

Best regards, Julian