Issue 248: client "Date" requirements

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:46:03 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi,

the spec currently says:

"Clients SHOULD only send a Date header field in messages that include a
payload, as is usually the case for PUT and POST requests, and even then
it is optional. A client without a clock MUST NOT send a Date header
field in a request."

(this comes from RFC 2616).

This is very wrong:

"SHOULD only .. and even then it is optional".

So, if it's optional, it's MAY. I don't believe we need to say that
clients "MAY" send a Date header :-).

Can we simplify that, or even remove it?

(see <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/248>)

Best regards, Julian