Re: detecting support for percent encoding in C-D, was: repeated filename parameters

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 19:13:02 +0200
To: "William A. Rowe Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
CC: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
> In lieu of handling %-escapes, which were 1) semantically nonsensical in http
> response headers (while 2231 would be valid) yet 2) not fully nonconforming,
> since they were 7 bit ascii clean, so they did not trip up 7 bit handling...
>
> Why not simply drop filename= as a legacy, nonstandard representation, similar
> to the original cookie spec, and replace with name= or similar for all RFC2231
> conforming names?
>
> This would allow both user agents and servers to continue to interoperate with
> legacy schemas, while offering a bridge to HTTP/1.1 semantics.  The definition
> of a name= argument could reasonably be declared to override any filename=
> argument observed.
>
> Possibility?

"name" would be something new. "filename*" has been a proposed standard
for ages, and has three independent implementations, and is used in
practice.

As far as I can tell, the deployment story for "filename*" is the same
as for "filename", as soon as Opera and FF correct their parsing when
both "filename" and "filename*" are present.

Best regards, Julian