Re: The robustness principle, as view by user agent implementors (Re: Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-02)

* Adam Barth wrote:
>So, your position is that the document is meaningless then?  That's
>silly.  Why bother introducing filename* then if we don't care how
>user agents actually interpret the file name?

This a specification intended for people who wish to deliver better user
experience. User agent developers who are not interested in delivering a
good user experience will not care if they conform to this specification
or not. The file name cannot be anything but advisory due to varying
constraints, such as limitations of file systems and security consider-
ations.