Re: The robustness principle, as view by user agent implementors (Re: Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-02)

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 22:59:03 +0200
To: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
* Adam Barth wrote:
>Concretely, my proposal is that the specification should not forbid
>user agents from %-decoding the value of the filename parameter.
>Julian has agreed that neither Internet Explorer nor Chrome is going
>to stop %-decoding the filename parameter anytime soon.  Forbidding
>user agent from processing these messages in this way is fiction.

The file name is advisory only. Implementations removing %-encoding may
be unfortunate, just like implementations stripping all but the first
eight [a-z] characters may be unfortunate, but they are not in violation
of the specification, as the file name is advisory only. That there may
be problems using % in file names is already noted in the draft. So, we
can move on with the draft as it is. I am glad we cleared this up.