Re: Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-02

Adam Barth wrote:

> > [[
> >   Based on interoperability testing with existing User Agents, it
> > defines a profile
> >   for use by HTTP servers of the
> >   features defined in the Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions
> > (MIME) variant ([RFC2183]) of the header field
> > ]]
>
> In particular, the text above does not make the document appreciably
> longer, but it does clarify that user agents are not required to
> implement the restricted profile contained in this document.

That's clarifying a given, at the expense of making the entire document
unclear as to the point of a C-D header in the first place, which is to
declare the intended processing to user agents.  Not the expected
processing; I'd expect index.xhtml to be shortened to index.xht by any
user agent on a filesystem imposing a three-character extension limit.
The document is perfectly clear as written, there's no need to confuse
the issue by insisting it has nothing to do with user agent behavior
based on speculative edge-case concerns.

-Eric