Re: Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-02

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net> wrote:
> Adam Barth wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, your entire message is beating up on a strawman.
>>  I haven't proposed any of the things you're shooting down.
>
> I'm shooting down the notion of standardizing nonconformant syntax,
> which isn't a strawman if it's exactly what you proposed:

That's not what I proposed.  This what I proposed:

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
> The document says:
>
> [[
>   Based on interoperability
>   testing with existing User Agents, it fully defines a profile of the
>   features defined in the Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME)
>   variant ([RFC2183]) of the header field
> ]]
>
> We should either add enough detail to the document to allow for user
> agent implementations or clarify that this document is intended to
> apply only to servers.  For example, we could change the above
> paragraph to the following:
>
> [[
>   Based on interoperability testing with existing User Agents, it
> defines a profile
>   for use by HTTP servers of the
>   features defined in the Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME)
>   variant ([RFC2183]) of the header field
> ]]

In particular, the text above does not make the document appreciably
longer, but it does clarify that user agents are not required to
implement the restricted profile contained in this document.

Adam