Re: Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-02

From: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 14:43:33 -0700
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 02.10.2010 21:46, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>> That would be missing the point. The point of a profile specification is
>> that if a sender sends out something that conforms to the profile, then
>> recepients will process it in a manner conforming to the specification.
>
> Yes. We need only one valid way to do things.

Right, this document is useful to folks who would like to generate
this header.  It's a generative profile.  As such, its a profile for
servers.  I'm just asking that the document be upfront about that.

One the other hand, this document isn't very helpful to folks who
would like to consume these headers.  Consumers will likely need to
implement the full protocol, not just the well-behaved profile.  As
such, we're still missing a specification for what user agents should
do with these headers, which is one reason we have the
interoperability problems Bjoern points out.

Adam