Re: Comments on draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-00.txt

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:01:56 +0200
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
* Julian Reschke wrote:
>> I don't think sending exactly the same value would make it useful to
>> send both parameters, it would rather seem filename could be a fallback,
>> which would imply a different, perhaps less sophisticated, value.
>
>Not sure what you're referring to here. Please elaborate.

It did not occur to me someone might send different responses based on
whether they believe the client supports `filename*`, so I read the text
as referring to the values of the parameters and not the whole header.
Clearly using the same value for the two parameters is not useful.

>> So perhaps something along the lines of "The parameters 'filename' and
>> 'filename*' differ only in ... wider repertoire of characters ... fall-
>> back ..."
>
>I now have:
>
>    The parameters "filename" and "filename*" differ only in that
>    "filename*" uses the encoding defined in [RFC5987], allowing the use
>    of characters not present in the ISO-8859-1 character set
>    ([ISO-8859-1]).  When both "filename" and "filename*" are present, a
>    recipient SHOULD pick "filename*" and ignore "filename" - this will
>    make it possible to send the same header value to clients that do not
>    support "filename*".

I still think the reference to ISO-8859-1 should be avoided (refer
instead to characters not normally allowed in HTTP headers, or simply
a wider repertoire of characters) and the last part should emphasize
that the filename parameter can be used as fallback value for older
clients, to avoid the confusion above if nothing else.