Re: New issue: p5-range 5.4.2, proxy recommendations regarding 200 responses to Range

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 00:24:58 +0200
To: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
fre 2010-07-23 klockan 08:58 -0400 skrev Yves Lafon:

> I don't see why it would be a MAY for a proxy and a SHOULD for a server,
> it seems better to keep them both as SHOULDs.

Because a SHOULD means it's the recommended method, and as shown in this
case it's not a good general purpose recommendation.

The optimization to have proxies reduce the traffic sent to the
requestor by eating the unwanted parts of the response when the server
responds with more data than requested should imho be a MAY, not a
SHOULD.

For a server the situation is different as it has control over the
requested resource.

Regards
Henrik