Re: Charter revision

> On 8/24/2010 9:21 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> After some discussion with the ADs and Editors, I'm looking at asking the IESG for a *small* charter revision, to:
>
> To promulgate an STD, which it really appears the 2616bis is ready to become,
> is it necessary to instigate this in the charter?  If so, is this a good time
> to submit such a change?

To get to Full Standard, we either need to change our references to MIME
to be informative (they may be, after all), or argue that the downrefs
are ok.

That being said, the amount of *editorial* changes we made is so huge
that it would be tricky to also advance on the standards track. My
proposal would be to stay at Draft, and to consider advancing in
something like ~2 years, in case that at that point we still have three
levels.

Re 2617: RFC 2617 is a Draft standard (as 2616), so I don't see how this
would be a problem. After all, we are just rearranging content. Also, I
would argue that the separation in 2616/2617 simply was a bug (status
codes and headers in 2616, framework in 2617) that needs to be fixed anyhow.

For CONNECT, things look a *bit* differently, agreed.

Finally: why do you think this is not a good time?

Best regards, Julian