Re: User confirmation and 307 redirects

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:13:11 -0700
Cc: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com>, httpbis <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

On Aug 19, 2010, at 9:55 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 19.08.2010 18:45, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Safari did have this bug a while ago, but it has been fixed for some time. We have tests in our regression test suite which verify that 307 redirects preserve the original method and request body.
>
> I just tried
>
>  <http://www.mnot.net/javascript/xmlhttprequest/>
>
> with Safari 5.0.1 on Win7, and it appears the problem is still there (maybe the code path is different for XMLHttpRequest?).

I don't know of a reason XHR would behave differently.

I tried one of our relevant tests myself and 307 redirects do preserve the method in our testing. I don't have a live copy that you can try but the following links show the sources to the test, and you can try it under your own Apache instance if you like:

http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/LayoutTests/http/tests/loading/redirect-methods.html
http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/LayoutTests/http/tests/loading/resources/redirect-methods-form.html
http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/LayoutTests/http/tests/loading/resources/redirect-methods-result.php

I can try to investigate why mnot's test is giving different results. It would be helpful if I could see the source for the server-side parts of that test.

Regards,
Maciej