Re: I-D Action:draft-nottingham-http-pipeline-00.txt

Exactly.

The properties that I'm looking for are ones that will make it safe from a browser vendor's perspective; i.e., they can deploy pipelining and not break existing sites (which they inevitably get blamed for).

By making pipelining effectively opt-in through hinting, the decision is in the hands of the server administrator, not the browser. It's not an optimal situation, but it does give us the opportunity to realistically make the world better. Expecting intermediaries to suddenly get better is IME not realistic.

Cheers,