Re: Fwd: I-D Action:draft-nottingham-http-pipeline-00.txt

Just playing devil's advocate here... does pipelining really deserve all
this (large) effort?

To me it seems multiple TCP connections is better for several reasons:

a) orders of magnitude more simple to implement
b) get true multiplexing without protocol changes to HTTP
c) better supported with existing infrastructure (scalability issues
apart, which is another issue)
d) potentially better response wrt latency if you can request and start
receiving an image or CSS before you've received all the HTML.

Most browsers seem to have already taken this path judging by the
numbers of connections I see our proxy clients using.  They are doing
this successfully now, whereas achieving a significant deployment of
agents with these proposed changes is a long time away.

Pipelining is up against a fairly big chicken and egg problem, as well
as a non-trivial implementation complexity problem (esp for proxies with
plug-in filters trying to detect if an upstream server supports
pipelining or not).

I also find it hard to favour a protocol change to cope with buggy
servers and intermediaries (e.g. interleaved responses, dropped
URI to every response is a significant traffic overhead (at least please
make it MD5(URI))  URIs can be very very long (often several kB).

This also is just to find broken intermediaries, since a new server
employing this would presumably fix its pipelining bugs first?
Therefore why burden every response for this task?

A new administrative or content provider burden relating to maintaining
information about likely benefits of pipelining seems to me well down on
the list of things people want to worry about, and fraught with issues
relating to authority and access to information. How can a server or
human really know if once some content is deployed a pipelined request
will truly provide advantage or not - it could be dependent on many
unknowable factors, such as other server load etc.  Does a hosting site
really want users fighting over who gets to put what meta tag in to try
and get better responsiveness for their users?

There are also some legitimate cases where content back needs to be
generated by an intermediary, or diverted / requests re-written.  E.g.
reverse proxies, payment gateways (e.g. hotels), corporate use policy
challenge pages etc.  The server generating the response may never have
seen the actual request made by the client.

I just think it's already been put in the too-hard basket by many
implementors, and  they are just working around the perceived
performance issues, so the opportunity for pipelining to provide real
benefits is diminishing, compounded by cost of development.

Cheers

Adrien