Re: NEW: #233 - Is * usable as a request-uri for new methods?

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 16:06:35 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 03:10:55PM +0200, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/233>
>
> --->8---
>
> Can methods other than OPTIONS (e.g., new extension methods) specify that * is an acceptable request-URI?
>
> Allowing it may cause interop issues with intermediaries, servers, etc.
>
> ---8<---
>
> Anyone think we should allow methods other than OPTIONS to use *?

"*" refers to the server itself regardless of any of its resources. I'm
not sure we'd need other method targetting the server and not a specific
resource. Maybe it could have made sense if a method such as CONNECT was
supported on servers, for instance to establish a tunnel between a client
and a server, but it does not and anyway for this we could use the Upgrade
mechanism which already supports GET on a specific resource or OPTIONS *.

Regards,
Willy